When traveling abroad, and when it comes to documentation, it’s best to be over-prepared.  Here is the paperwork we recommend having for your whenever you travel abroad:


  • Birth certificate
  • Business cards (avoid ink jet for water resistance)
  • Driver card numbers and lost/stolen card reporting phone numbers
  • Drivers license
  • Emergency contact information (names, numbers, addresses, emails, etc.)
  • International Driver’s Permit
  • Luggage tags
  • Passport (original, plus 10 colour copies)
  • Travel discount card (AAA, CAA, etc.)
  • Visa(s) (original, plus 2 colour copies)


  • Auto insurance (home)
  • Auto insurance (abroad)
  • Health insurance (home)
  • Health insurance (travel)
  • Vehicle registration
  • Vehicle title (if there is a lean on the title, you will have to provide proof that your lender has given you permission to travel abroad with the vehicle – and in some cases, you may not be allowed into the country at all)

In case of an emergency at home, you may want to bring additional insurance documents such as policies for your vehicle or home.


  • Eyeglass and contact lens prescriptions
  • Immunization records (original, plus 10 colour copies)
  • Medical insurance card (original, plus 10 colour copies)
  • Medical history card
  • Medication prescriptions

Are we missing anything?  What documents do you typically take on a trip?

Graphics by DryIcons

Leave a Reply